Monday, May 2, 2011

Good Riddance

I wake up this morning to Matt - "Hey, Britt. Osama bin Laden is dead."

Huh. That's an interesting way to start off your day. He is known for this though, as previously he has woken me up with news about the Toomer's Oaks.

So, of course, I whip out my iPhone and upload the CNN app. Sure enough, there were five articles on it already. I checked each of them out, then did my daily online news crawl to BBC, Al Jazeera and MSNBC. Before believing a story I check out all reputable news sources. You don't want to be misinformed, after all.

Turns out it's true. I was a little skeptical after reading that his body was buried at sea. A little suspicious? But then I researched and found it is actually a custom in Islam to be buried within a day of death. And he was given a Muslim burial. Kudos.

What I find most interesting about this is people going crazy on facebook about it all. "God bless America", "I miss George W. Bush" and slurs against Muslims?

First of all, I feel sorry for you that you miss W.  Just kidding (kinda), but really, where does that come from?  Odd.

And the two people talking trash about Muslims just happen to be people that profess Christianity as their faith. Jesus would not be down for that, folks. This fight has nothing to do with Islam.  Turn off that crazy "news" channel and read!

I mean, sure, it's a big deal, but I find it odd celebrating someone's death. He was a terrible guy, one of the most evil conspirators of our time. However, shouldn't we be thinking of the American soldiers and civilians lost during this ten year battle? And not just the Americans, but the Iraqi and Afghani troops, and countless civilians, that were killed in the process of finding this animal?

It gives me pause.

Instead of celebrating like it's the Fourth of July, maybe we should reflect on what makes our country so special. Why someone so evil and twisted would want to destroy that, and what we can do to make sure he doesn't continue to win.

Keep on keepin' on, Patriots.


1 comment:

Bakersg said...

LOVE this - you are so right!