Sunday, October 31, 2010

Getting Our Sane On







This has been a pretty amazing weekend. But first let me start with last week. Matt headed off to Log Warrior to do some tactical mission stuff (very broad, I know), and I spent the week in Alabama visiting family one last time before the move. Most of my days were spent in Wetumpka, though I did spend Wednesday in Auburn!!! It was our friend Taylor's birthday, so she, Laura Lea, Paul and myself had a delicious lunch at Momma G's. YUM!!!

Then Thursday I drove the 12 hours back :( Thank goodness I had my favorite pup along for the ride!

Friday we drove up to DC to visit our friends Becky and Ryan, who are moving to Kyrgyzstan in the next couple of months. We all attended Jon Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" on Saturday, and oh my, was it fun!! It's quite adorable because though I am a rally veteran, this was Matthew's first. He was so excited, and I don't think he was at all disappointed. Jon brought out Stephen Colbert, of course, but more surprising guests, Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) and Ozzy Osbourne. Yusuf sang my favorite song, "Peace Train" which was then countered by Ozzy's "Crazy Train". Pretty fantastic!

The message was simple and clear, with humor mixed in. I feel personally challenged to see past all of our differences and not blame or judge others because they believe differently than me. Jon said that there are extremists of all kinds out there, but we can all get along. Very true. We will be posting pictures soon!

That being said, there are a lot of decisions being made right now surrounding Don't Ask Don't Tell, in regards to gays being open in the military. I feel compelled to ask everyone to please keep not only our service members, but our decision makers in mind as there could be life changing decisions being made in the next year. The Cole's stand behind our LGBT soldiers and pray that the right decision be made soon.

Peace and Love,
Brittany and Matthew

No comments: