Sunday, October 24, 2010

La Da Dee



So Thanksgiving is coming up, and we have our family (Matt's mom, stepdad and sister) and our friend Max and his two friends coming to dinner!

It's going to be epic, for a few reasons. First of all, it is the last time we're going to see family before the BIG move :( But on the upside, it is the first Thanksgiving we are going to spend with Europeans (Max is German and his friends are French)! And because I believe in cruelty free meals, I suggested we have a meat-free Thanksgiving. Matt objected with authority. He won this one, so we're getting a turkey. Which brings me to the next exciting tid bit...

I've been researching local Virginia farms that raise free-range and organic turkeys. We found one that we will be using a couple of hours away called Autumn Grove Farm in Farmville, VA. The plan was to visit the farm prior to slaughter to see how the turkeys are raised and roam and such. But I had a bit of a breakdown the other night, just knowing that I will be having to prepare this creature for others to eat, and I just can't do it. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I will be able to cook it. It goes against everything that I believe in. Prior to my veggie days, Chick-Fil-A was a staple. Now, I get nauseous even driving by the establishment. Even Matt got a little iffy about it, knowing that the animals would be alive, happy and roaming, until just hours before pick-up.

So that's what I'm dealing with these days. Nightmares of the creatures I love and refuse to eat being served up for our holidays guests.

What else has been going on? Well, we shipped off Matt's car this week. It may have even met up with our household goods on a ship somewhere, on it's way to Germany. Matt's suffering from G6 withdrawals...it's kinda cute.

We also celebrated our friend TJ's birthday this week. He and his wife Emily are also moving to Germany, and will be stationed in Vilseck, close to the Czech border. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with them more, especially in Deutschland!

Oh, and we went to one hell of a honky tonk karaoke on Friday night. It's safe say it was not our scene. There were many moments that made us cringe, but we had a good time hanging out with Matt's classmates.

And that seems about all that's going on for now. We'll be getting back with you soon!

Ciao!
Matt and Britt

No comments: