Monday, November 19, 2012

Venice, Second Go

Our very first vacation in Europe was Venice.  When we were there in March 2011 it was chilly (though sunny and beautiful!), quiet, and the Bridge of Sighs was covered.  This time, it was gorgeous, though a bit toasty, packed, and the bridge was exposed!!!

This means so much to be because during WWII, when he was stationed over here, my Daddy Joe sent my Dot Dot a postcard of the Bridge of Sighs.  In March 2011, I sent Dot Dot nearly the exact same postcard (shot of the bridge), that my grandfather did.  The bridge is more than a structure for me - it ties me to my grandfather.  I know he walked all over the city, with it looking more or less as it does today.  Perhaps that's why I love Venice so much??

We also took a short day trip to Padova, or Padua.  Sound familiar?  Taming of the Shrew, anyone!??!   

 The beautiful Bridge of Sighs
 Matt checking out St. Anthony's Basilica in Padova (Padua)
 You had to cover up to go in.  Not that I mind purchasing a new scarf...
 Sarah & I wander in to an Italian co-op and find diary free ice cream!
 Thinking of the world's greatest grandfather in front of the Ponte dei Sospiri
 "Gondale, gondale, gondale!!"
 Really?  Perfect photo op.
 The Rialto is magnificent.
 Love birds.
 Street in Padua
 Matt in front of The Basilica of St. Anthony
St. Anthony's Basilica and me

No comments: