Wednesday, April 27, 2011

These Are a Few of Our Favorite Things




For those of you who we haven't told, Matt and I have made a big investment. Since last Friday, we are officially owners of a Vitamix.

This piece of culinary genius has changed our lives for the better!  Before it's purchase, I had read on all kinds of health and vegan blogs  about the majesty of the Vitamix.  It can make soups, juice, ice cream, purees.  You name it, it can do it.  And it has a seven year warranty, but usually lasts for decades. 

I have been a fan since I heard about the thing, but Matt was a little hard to sell on it.  Especially with a retail price around $700.  This isn't your grandmother's blender; it's what they use at Smoothie King.  But, thank the retail gods!  The PX had a showcase of sorts and we found this beauty for a fraction of the cost! 

Will I make pina coladas with it?  Of course.  But before you start judging us for shelling out for this machine, you have to realize it is imperative to our daily meals.

First of all, I love to make everything I can homemade.  Especially hummus and marinara sauce.  But we had a cheapo blender and it wasn't able to even make hummus, and the marinara often turned out clumpy.  I used the food processor every day, which was a double hand-me-down.  We started using it excessively and the darn thing, bless it's soul, had just about given out.  It didn't know it would meet its demise with me.

So we invested in a Bosch immersion blender/food processor.  It's perfect for quick things (like easy baking or Fudge Babies), but it just wasn't cutting it for my favorites like hummus. 

Plus, our old juicer....let me start with a back story.  I saw  a Juiceman Jr. commercial when I was about 12 years old.  I wanted to start juicing!  So I thought if I bought it for my mom, she would start making juice.  Mother's Day came, mom got a top of the line 90's juicer, and no juice followed.  Fast forward 13 years and we got the juicer.  Which is awesome, but it's a dinosaur.

So the Juiceman Jr. has officially been retired, because of the new addition.  Listen to this:  All you have to do is cut up the fruit, remove the core, and put it in the blender with a splash of water (or ice...but we don't have ice here).  You get all the nutrients from the pulp and skin that most juicers leave out!  Matt and I make a juice composed of apple, pear, spinach, carrots, grapes, and spirulina nearly every morning.  It has the high of coffee without the crash.  Genius.  And it will change your life!!

So that's all about the Vitamix.  I am serious when I say it will change your life.  All of the sudden, eating healthy is not even remotely a chore!

We've also been eating a lot of Asian cuisine lately.  My entire life I have been a good eater.  I think I get that from my dad, as he has introduced me to pickled artichoke hearts and tomato juice.  You know, things your average kid would never indulge in.

When we lived in Richmond, Matt and I were introduced to Thai.  And on our weekends in DC we would try all kinds of different things, including Ethiopian and Indian foods.  As a kid I tried a few curry dishes, but never liked them.  Now I can't seem to get enough!

I've even ventured out to local stores to find curry and Thai spices. 

And couscous.  We are obsessed and could probably eat it for every meal, but switch it up with quinoa and bulgar just to make it interesting.

Besides immersing us in culture and spice, these foods are fantastic because they are mostly vegan.  Which means when we go to a Thai restaurant, I fear not.  And they're so comforting.  Comfort food without cheese, say you?  It is true.  I just wish we could find a good Turkish restaurant that's not a doner stand around here...then I'd be in HEAVEN!

And I will salivate until we get to London and have amazing curry!  Oh my goodness, I can hardly wait :)

So there you have it.  Some of our favorite things as of late.  Heads up for when you visit, because you will not be eating your every day meatloaf and pork chops.  Though, if you're nice, I'll make my famous vegan sloppy joes and sweet potato fries.

That's it for me.  I'm in dire need of some fresh juice!



No comments: