Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Power of Now


Yesterday I got lost for a little over an hour in the middle of Germany. Usually, around 10 minutes lost, I freak out, call Matt, and possibly let a few (ok, many) tears loose. This time was different. Which is strange, because I was in a foreign country of all places, and one of the missed turns landed me in a Humvee convoy. I was then directed in German to the place I was trying to go, at least that's what I think he was saying.

My point, I could have done some serious freaking out but I didn't. Remaining inexplicably calm under pressure is not one of my strengths, so I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing.

I think a few things have contributed to this inner peace. Perhaps I'm maturing and finally listening to Matt's advice :) I think it is a little bit of that, along with recent inspirations I've been reading.

One great book, is called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. He talks about living in the present moment, one step at a time. It has done wonders for me! (Thank you to my beautiful Auntie Beth, for introducing me to this and so many other fulfilling books)

And then there's Deepak Chopra. Gosh I love him! He has so many books, but I find his blog (http://www.chopra.com/articles/) especially inspiring. I want to read his books on Jesus, Mohammad and Buddha.

Which brings to back to Buddha. If I'm having a stressful day, all it takes is reading a few of his proverbs (then listening to a little U2), and I am at peace again. I think what I find so interesting about Buddha, is that he is completely mortal. No divinity, just like you and me. He goes through myriad trials, just like the rest of us, and chooses paths on his own. This very human man learns from his mistakes, as well as his achievements, and just lays it all out there for us to take as a reference. It's just so...real.

From this, we all learn we have the power within ourselves to change our circumstances. As Buddha said, "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others". And that speaks volumes to me.

I feel like too often, we feel we must embrace one religion or thought process. By doing that we may, for example, pray that God, or to whomever you pray, "grant me the serenity" or "bring me wealth". Perhaps we should look inside ourselves for the serenity instead of asking for it, and work to bring ourselves wealth.

This is not at all saying that there is not a higher power. That is each individual's belief, and I don't believe that what I'm saying disputes that. I feel like I'm getting really deep here, and I apologize if that turns you off. I just want to share what I'm experiencing.

I just have witnessed many religious people praying their hearts out for peace and understanding, when it's within them. There are so many unhappy people praying to God to fix their lives, but all they really have to do is say, "Hey, today's going to be better than yesterday, and this is how I'm going to make sure of it". Then, when you find peace it's like Oprah's "Aha moment", and you realize you did it all by yourself :)

Anywho, that's it for me today. I just felt the need to share my revelations of late. And with that, I want to share a few of my favorite words of inspiration:

"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world."
Buddha

Dedicated to my friends, that fill my soul with smiles every day:
"Do not look for bad company
Or live with men who do not care.
...Find friends who love the truth.
Drink deeply.
Live in serenity and joy."
Buddha

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
Jesus Christ

"The greatest impurity is ignorance.
Free yourself from it.
Be pure."
Buddha

For days when I feel like a loser:
"Our failures are stepping-stones in the mechanics of creation, bringing us ever closer to our goals."
Deepak Chopra

"With good will for the entire cosmos, cultivate a limitless heart: Above, below, and all around, unobstructed, without hostility or hate."
Buddha

Have a most beautiful and blessed day :)


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

"Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others" Yes, yes, yes! I honestly believe that everything we need, we can find within ourselves if we just take the time to DO IT!